Coffee - Craft Brew Beer - Wine and the Best Live Music around....

Coffee - Craft Brew Beer - Wine and the Best Live Music around....
123 East Main - Eaton, OH 45320

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My Postmaster in Camden, OH

Faced with dwindling mail volume and rising costs, the post office was $2.8 billion in the red last year and, “if current trends continue, we could experience a net loss of $6 billion or more this fiscal year,” Potter said in testimony for a Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs subcommittee.

. . . OK then! I say: "Another government agency that is unable to function correctly, and make choices that will benefit the taxpayer."

But get this:

The other day I opened my mailbox, and I find a large, pre-printed piece of of paper from the US Post Office in my mailbox. As I scanned over the paper, I read that I should "waterproof" my mailbox.

(Excuse me?)

Yes, friends, on occasions the mailbox is hard to close, and so some of the mail gets wet if it rains. Do I care? Not really!

As I continued to read the "Official US Post Office Notification" I noticed a statement (or should I say THREAT?) from the US Postmaster of Camden: "If the issue is not resolved, delivery service maybe suspended"

So, let me get this straight: I don't have a choice if my mail gets wet once in a while, because the government dictates to me that I WILL receive my mail dry?

Here is a government agency that wastes taxes in the amount of almost THREE BILLION DOLLARS, and the same agency worries about rain on my mail?

OH . . . one more thing: One of the options on the piece of paper indicated that the post of the mailbox "has to be neat". (God forbid there would be a "paint issue" with my post)

My actions are clear: I will place a tarp over my mailbox, because I want to receive my junk mail to me neat and dry. And . . . in the meantime I will root for my US Postmaster to find other important issues to take care of.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have a crappy mail box, and a parcel box in even worse condition. The only 'threat' we have ever had is not having enough rocks in our driveway and the "mail lady's car getting muddy." Wet mail--happens all the time... maybe this is because we have an Eaton address that we don't get letters about a drippy box? Ironically, we visit Camden's post office far more than Eaton's post office.
Good luck with your wet mail! :-)
-Rocky